Every Sunday we post the Astral Penguins A List: our 10 favourite songs right now. It works like a chart and it’s always bloody hard to limit it t0 10 songs every week.
Which is where the bonus list comes in. These are the songs that we’re still loving, but have either dropped out of or fell slightly short of the A List.
Here are numbers 11 to 20 for your listening pleasure.
11. Otzeki – All This Time (Down 2; 3rd Week)
From it’s opening hum and creeping bass, it has an eerie and agitating tone, which only increases as the organ noise and vocals kick in.
12. HOMESHAKE – Every Single Thing (Down 2; 2nd Week)
A shimmering r’n’b track with a disconcerting lo-fi meets synths dynamic. The vocals are impressive in their range and delivery, and yet it’s the cold aesthetic of the track that makes me want to keep this on repeat.
13. Cold War Kids – Love Is Mystical (Down 1; 2nd Week)
Love Is Mystical is a cracking blues-inspired indie pop record that explodes with excitement. From it’s opening piano to it’s awesome chorus, everything is a little off-kilter and distorted.
14. Pumarosa – Dragonfly (new entry)
Creating etherial music with elements of pop, indie and dance, there’s a mystique to their work that few acts achieve.
15. Electric Guest – Back For Me (non-mover; 2nd week)
Back for Me skips along with a relentlessly upbeat tone, propelled by beating percussion and one of the funkiest bass parts around. Simple, catchy and really rather good fun.
16. Vnusamr – Runnin (new entry)
A debut single rooted in modern r’n’b, but brave enough to incorporate touches of rock and pop. The sensual vocals are great, it’s superbly produced with teasing melodies throughout.
17. Incubus – Nimble Bastard (new entry)
Nimble Bastard sees Incubus on strong ground; driving riffs and very little pissing around.
18. King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard – Sleep Drifter (up 2; 3rd week)
Sleep Drifter is the musical equivalent of being awake for 48 hours; everything is there but you’re not sure you can piece it all together.
19. Rudie Edwards – Lover Like You (down 3; 2nd week)
Lover Like You is an infectiously catchy disco pop track that immediately grabs you with its gripping bass and 80’s style production.
20. High Contrast – Shotgun Mouthwash (down 2; 2nd week)
Shotgun Mouthwash is a corking piece of electro punk. It’s full on from the get-go and is stacked full of attitude.